Date:      Mon, 29 Oct 2012 11:52:30 +0700
From:      Erich Dollansky <erichfreebsdlist@ovitrap.com>
To:        Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com>
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 'device atapicam' breaks the build

Hi,

On Sun, 28 Oct 2012 21:42:44 -0700
Yuri <yuri@rawbw.com> wrote:

> Following atapicam(4), I added 'device atapicam' into
> sys/amd64/conf/GENERIC. This causes 'make buildkernel' to fail:
>
> ld  -d -warn-common -r -d -o zlib.ko.debug zlib.o
> :> export_syms
> awk -f /usr/src/sys/conf/kmod_syms.awk zlib.ko.debug  export_syms |
> xargs -J% objcopy % zlib.ko.debug
> objcopy --only-keep-debug zlib.ko.debug zlib.ko.symbols
> objcopy --strip-debug --add-gnu-debuglink=zlib.ko.symbols
> zlib.ko.debug zlib.ko
> 1 error
> *** [buildkernel] Error code 2
> 1 error
> *** [buildkernel] Error code 2
> 1 error
>
> Also loading it manually with 'kldload atapicam' fails:
> kldload: can't load atapicam: Exec format error
> with system log having an error: link_elf_obj: symbol ata_controlcmd
> undefined
>
> What is wrong with atapicam?
>
> I need atapicam because section 23.3.3 of handbook suggests that it
> is a prerequisite for being able to use DVD drive from the vbox
> guests.
>
> Yuri
>
> 9.1-RC3

I found this in my kernel configuration.
#
# 21.06.12 ed:
#
# atapicam or ATA_CAM can be defined. We have a try first with this one
# removed. Switch both if writing to a DVD fails.
#
# options 		ATA_CAM			# Handle
legacy controllers with CAM
# options	ATA_STATIC_ID	# Static device numbering

It looks like you have to disable above's options.

Erich