Date:      Mon, 16 Jun 1997 12:49:41 +0200 (MET DST)
From:      oliver.fromme@heim3.tu-clausthal.de (Oliver Fromme)
To:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: SB Pro & MPEG audio

Udo Wolter <uwp@cs.tu-berlin.de>:
 > Can anyone tell me why it's impossible to play MPEG audio with SB PRO cards ?
 > Is this a problem with the driver or a problem with the program ?
 > I think it must be a driver problem because I tried mpg123. This program
 > is able to play MPEG audio with 22kHz, but it was the same crap as
 > normally. At home I have a SB16 now and everything works fine. Why I can't
 > play them at work ? Is there a workaround maybe a patch for the SB PRO
 > driver ? Or maybe it's better to use MS sound system ?

mpg123 _requires_ a soundcard capable of playing 16 bit stereo
data at 44.1 kHz.  Even when using the lower quality options,
the data sent to the sound card is still 44.1 kHz.  The purpose
of that option is to reduce CPU load, not to enable playing
with older soundcards.  For the same reason, the -m (mono)
option still produces stereo output (with both channels being
the same).

If you need to convert the output data to 22 kHz, 8 bit, mono
or whatever, you should use another tool, for example sox(1).

By the way, all of that is explained in the manual page.  ;-)

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18-61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany