Date:      Fri, 17 Mar 2006 15:06:31 -0800
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Daniel Eriksson <daniel_k_eriksson@telia.com>
Cc:        Dag-Erling =?iso-8859-1?Q?Sm=F8rgrav?= <des@des.no>, freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: [patch] NetBSD disklabel support for geom_bsd

Daniel Eriksson wrote this message on Fri, Mar 17, 2006 at 20:47 +0100:
> Dag-Erling Smørgrav wrote:
>
> > It is still possible to create dangerously dedicated disks, btw, and
> > it is still possible to put a disklabel (or even a filesystem)
> > directly on a device.  GEOM means *more* freedom, not less.
>
> I've been putting filesystems directly on devices for some time now. Are there any drawbacks to doing this?

The biggest issue that I've had with this is that if you don't have an
entry in /etc/fstab, fsck can't identify the fs type on the device, and
so:
fsck /dev/da0

won't work...  You have to manually specify which fs type it is, or add
it to /etc/fstab, or put it in a disklabel which identifies it...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579