Date:      Tue, 21 Jan 2003 02:34:36 -0800 (PST)
From:      Bsd Neophyte <bsdneophyte@yahoo.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   still having syslog problems

i'm having huge problems with localizing the messages sent to my FreeBSD
box by my router and my firewall appliance.  all the messages seem to be
congregating in /var/log/messages, when i don't want them to.

i'm thinking that, the following might be an issue.

--------
*.err;kern.debug;auth.notice;mail.crit /dev/console
*.notice;kern.debug;lpr.info;mail.crit;news.err /var/log/messages
--------

the "*.notice" second line, i'm assuming means that all notices,
regardless of source, are to be sent to /var/log/messages.

unfortunately, i don't know the severity rating of the messages that the
firewall is sending.

maybe you can help me out. a typical message looks like this:

Jan 20 20:19:08 <16.5> (806 hostname) id=firewall sn=(serial number of
webramp) time="2003-01-20 20:19:07" fw=(some ip address) pri=5 c=256 m=38
msg="ICMP packet dropped" n=2956 src==(some ip address) dst==(some ip
address) rule=0^M

again, an assumption, but i think that pri=5 means priority 5, which seems
to be a notification level event with the cisco router.

if this is the case, how could i redirect only FreeBSD notifications to go
to messages?

this is what i have right now:

------
# external hosts (router and firewall)
!router
local7.* /var/log/router-logs
#local7.alert /var/log/router-logs
#local7.crit /var/log/router-logs
#local7.debug /var/log/router-logs
#local7.emerg /var/log/router-logs
#local7.err /var/log/router-logs
#local7.info /var/log/router-logs
#local7.notice /var/log/router-logs
#local7.warn /var/log/router-logs
------

i made the files ahead of time by doing a "touch router-logs".  also is
noting this as " !router " allowable?

i didn't get a clear indication of how to do it in the documentation? is
it local0.notice or something?