Date:      Tue, 27 Apr 2004 08:34:53 +0200
From:      Tobias Roth <roth@iam.unibe.ch>
To:        David.E.Tweten@nasa.gov
Cc:        freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: XFree86 & ACPI don't like each other?

On Mon, Apr 26, 2004 at 05:06:40PM -0700, Dave Tweten wrote:

> Under STABLE, the only XFree86 vs. power management problem comes with
> hibernation.  When my T23 wakes up after hibernation, XFree86 is frozen.
> I have to switch to an ASCII console (ctrl-alt-f1) and back to X (alt-f12)
> to get it to limber up.  If the hibernation is manual rather than
> automatic, I can transition to ASCII console first before hibernating, and
> there is no wake-up freeze, but automatic because of flat battery is the
> usual reason to hibernate.

you do realize that this console switch can be automated?

for instance, i put  vidcontrol -s 1 < /dev/ttyv0  in rc.suspend just before
the logger line and  vidcontrol -s 9 < /dev/ttyv0  (12 in your case) into
rc.resume, also before the logger line.

this workaround has been mentioned quite a few times on the list.

keep in mind though that rc.suspend and rc.resume were only recently made
ready for acpi, so if you are using acpi instead of apm, you might have
to update to -current. for ibm thinkpads, this is generally a good idea
anyway, at least if you use acpi.

cheers, t.