Date:      Tue, 6 Jul 1999 21:24:03 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Chris D. Faulhaber" <jedgar@fxp.org>
To:        Christopher Taylor <chris@thedial.com>
Cc:        freebsd-scsi@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: AIT/DLT Tape Compatibility

On Tue, 6 Jul 1999, Christopher Taylor wrote:

> I need a high capacity tape backup solution for FreeBSD. In the past, I
> have used DAT with no problems, but now I need something quite a bit
> bigger and more reliable. Does FreeBSD support AIT or DLT devices? Would
> these be considered "SCSI" as stated in the FreeBSD FAQ?

Yes, AIT and DLT drives are considered SCSI if they use a standard SCSI
interface.  As for specific drives, personally I have been using a Sony
SDX-300C (AIT) drive under FreeBSD since pre-3.0.

> The FreeBSD FAQ states:
> "FreeBSD supports SCSI, QIC-36 (with a QIC-02 interface) and QIC-40/80
> (Floppy based) tape drives. This includes
> 8-mm (aka Exabyte) and DAT drives. The QIC-40/80 drives are known to be
> slow.

It would be nearly impossible to list every drive out on the market.
In general, most tape drives that follow the SCSI specification should
work.  When in doubt, just ask.

-----
Chris D. Faulhaber <jedgar@fxp.org>  |  All the true gurus I've met never
System/Network Administrator,        |  claimed they were one, and always
Reality Check Information, Inc.      |  pointed to someone better.