Date:      Mon, 30 Oct 1995 20:49:56 +0200
From:      Petri Helenius <pete@sms.fi>
To:        "Charles F. Randall" <crandall@dmacc.cc.ia.us>
Cc:        freebsd-fs@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Cache FS? (willing to help)

Charles F. Randall writes:

 > Consider the situation where the NFS server and client (with a small local
 > disk) are connected by a slow network link which you do not own. An extreme
 > example, but it should illustrate my point.
 >
 > The client-side caching in AFS should serve another implemented example.

I do admit that this crossed my mind while writing the previous message
and although I do own the link between tens of gigabytes and my local
only 2.5 gigs, in this scenario it would be useful. It remains up
to the implementation how useful it would be, for example could it be
used as a generic nfs-cache for other non-caching clients so that I could
run my dos-pc with pc/tcp off the freebsd caching for a server over the
slow (256k) link.

Pete