Date:      Tue, 29 Aug 1995 21:49:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Rodney W. Grimes" <rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com>
To:        rsnow@txdirect.net (Rob Snow)
Cc:        msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au, vince@penzance.econ.yale.edu, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Upgrade to my machine

> On Tue, 29 Aug 1995, Rodney W. Grimes wrote:
>

> > > -Vince- stands accused of saying:
> > >
> > > Depends lots on what you're doing with them; in a straight line, the P90
> > > is pretty quick, but what you put around it largely determines how it will
> > > perform in an applications context.  (Especially memory/cache/disk)

> > THINK for a minute about large applications.  An Intel Pentium 90/100 CPU
> > chip as 3.3 billon transistors on it.  Each cmos transitor takes at least
>           ^^^^^^^^^^
> > 6 rectangles to represent the minimal transitor data and 3 contacts to hook
> > it up, now thats 19.8G assumming I can stuff a rectange into a byte :-).
> >
> > We haven't even started to talk about interconnecting these 3.3 billon
>                                                               ^^^^^^^^^^
> > transistors...
> >
> > Can you say that a gigabyte in this world is actually a very small amount
> > of data!
> > --
> > Rod Grimes                                      rgrimes@gndrsh.aac.dev.com
> > Accurate Automation Company                 Reliable computers for FreeBSD
>
> Isn't that [M]illion?

Get a grip, it takes a million transistors just to implement the 16k of
cache:
16384 bytes * 8bits/byte * 6 transistors a bit == 786432, add the decoders
and other gunk and your over a million right there....

And from the 1994 i486DX2 data sheet ``Over one million transistors implement
this RISC integer core'' talking about just the integer ALU and registers
here.... and that was the 486 core ALU, the P54 ALU is an order or two in
magnitude more complex due to being super scaler and longer pipe.