Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 17:47:20 +0000
From:      Poul-Henning Kamp <phk@critter.tfs.com>
To:        "matthew c. mead" <mmead@Glock.COM>
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 6x86 120+

>     I just got one of these the other day and installed it.  I've
> read before that they accept the full pentium instruction set.
> For all but a few things, it's a fair amount faster than my
> P90(@100).  I did notice that these applications that seem slower
> are built with pgcc pentium optimization.  Does anyone know if I
> need to build with -m486 to get better performance out of this
> chip, or should I stick with -mpentium?  Thanks!

>From what I have heard so far you should only use -mpentium for the P5.
Most of the newer chips run slower with the pentium opts. because the
attempted dual parallel sequences of instructions defeat the lookahead
of the logic in charge of the "RISCification".

Can we have a number for the FreeBSD-stones ?

	cd /usr/src
	rm -rf /usr/obj/*
	time make world

whois: [PHK]                | phk@ref.tfs.com       TRW Financial Systems, Inc.
Future will arrive by its own means, progress not so.