Date:      Thu, 11 Jan 1996 17:36:21 -0800 (PST)
From:      Howard Lew <hlew@genome.Stanford.EDU>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Ontrack DM & FreeBSD 2.1R

Here's a little more info about Ontrack DM (version 7 I believe) and
FreeBSD
2.1R.

My configuration:
wd0 is Windows 95 only.
wd1 is FreeBSD only.

During the installation of FreeBSD 2.1R to wd1, I carefully chose none for
the mbr or multi-boot code, but FreeBSD 2.1R still does something to wd0
which makes the Win95 hard drive unbootable.

How to recover wd0.... Need to rewrite the mbr using Ontrack DM after
booting from a DOS floppy.  After that, need to reboot from a DOS disk
one more time to set the DOS/WIN95 partition active on wd0 with fdisk.
After that, everything is back to normal.

3 Questions:

1) Is there any chance that a future version of FreeBSD will truly not touch
wd0?

2) And can fbsdboot.exe be made as an option to boot a kernel from wd1
instead of wd0?  Or am I just missing the syntax somewhere?

3) Will FreeBSD 2.1R soon notice my Teac 4X Model 55A cdrom drive?