Date:      Tue, 6 May 1997 22:34:07 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Chuck Robey <chuckr@mat.net>
To:        Neil David Adams <N.Adams@bom.gov.au>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pine port

On Wed, 7 May 1997, Neil David Adams wrote:

> Hi,
> 	I'm trying to install pine 3.96 to over come a problem with pine 3.91
> locking telnet sessions and I get afair way through the compilation
> process under the ports system  but it crashes at the line :
>
> install -d -o bin -g bin -m 755 /usr/local/share/doc/pine
>
> giving me the correct usage fo rthe install program
> and then bombs with Error code 1
> stop
>
> This line is post install  option in the Makefile.
>
> Any clues as to how I can fix this  so it works ? since it leaves me
> with a system that looks like it is runnig pine 3.96 but which still
> locks up eventually if I am running any telnet sessions.

I would guess you're probably not doing this on a current system, where
the install program recognizes the -d option as (from the man page):

     -d      Create directories.  Missing parent directories are created as
             required.

If it were me, I'd manually edit the Makefile to remove the -d option,
create the directory manually (or have the Makefile do it with mkdir -p)
and run install again.

> Cheers
> Neil
> --
> Neil Adams (Bureau of Meteorology).
> Senior Meteorologist
> Antarctic CRC and Bureau of Meteorology
> Email: N.Adams@bom.gov.au
> Phone: Australia (03) 6226 7545 Fax  : Australia (03) 6226 7545
> Mobile 0417331181
> Post:		University of Tasmania
>                 GPO Box 252-80
> 	        Hobart, Tasmania