Date:      Mon, 24 Jul 2000 16:47:09 -0700
From:      David Johnson <djohnson@acuson.com>
To:        Linh Pham <lplist@q.closedsrc.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD-newbies@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

Linh Pham wrote:

> You can probably spot a lot of WinModems by looking at their
> requirements. One, they require Windows. The next one is that they require
> a Pentium processor (many require MMX to off-load the DSP calls use to MMX
> instructions). If you look on the majority of WinModems, you will find the
> lack of a DSP. Modems with almost no hardware are almost always WinModems.

Even Windows users would do very well to avoid winmodems. Your CPU has
better things to do than process modem signals. My friend was
downloading a large file, and as he started the download I noticed that
his CPU meter on his taskbar quickly spiked, while the responsiveness of
Windows fell to nil. He assumed that CPU intensive downloads was normal
OS behavior...

David