Date:      Mon, 31 Mar 1997 14:17:20 -0800
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        "Lee Crites (AEI)" <leec@adam.adonai.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD-Ports <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Error installing pine-3.96

> I have two decades of computer experience.  I've done just about
> everything once (and some things I don't want to admit to more than once
> -- anyone need a cobol programmer anymore?)

Lots of people, actually - cobol programmers are going to make
a fortune these next few months in turning all those "PIC(2) YEAR"
statements into "PIC(4) YEAR" for the Y2000 problem. :-)

> We already take into consideration the possibility of a person having a
> pc with multiple os's on it.  Why can't we consider the option of having
> one pc with multiple versions of fbsd on it?  One of the excuses for not

It's too hard? :-)

For one thing, you can't give it its own partition since only the
first 0xA5 type partition is booted from and I can't really imagine
how you'd make multiple versions co-exist in a single partition.

If our upgrade supported proper versioning, it might be easy enough to
go *backwards* if you didn't like an upgrade and wanted to undo it,
but I can't see anything fancier than that working out.

						Jordan