Date:      Fri, 16 Dec 2016 08:09:01 -0800 (PST)
From:      Roger Marquis <marquis@roble.com>
To:        marino@freebsd.org
Cc:        "ports@FreeBSD.org Ports" <ports@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: The ports collection has some serious issues

> It is just semantics.

That may be but as illustrated in this thread people maintain
unreasonable expectations of portmaster which they often blame on the
ports subsystem.

> I never understood why people went ape-**** over it, unless they don't
> understand what "deprecated without expiration" actually means.

Perhaps then this is the crux of the issue.  From my experience
"deprecated" means only that something will not appear in a future
version of the OS.  It implies nothing about the suitability of the
software itself.  "deprecated without expiration" is a contradiction.

> If Torsten drops maintainership then some sort of "strong" warning should
> come with that drop.  I would be satisfied with adding a descriptive
> DEPRECATED message myself.

TZ or no TZ we should drop the deprecation notice until it has an
expiration date and clarify the warning terms (ASAP).  At least that
way, when a thread like this comes up in the future, the only response
needed would be a pointer to the install message.

Roger