Date:      Sun, 14 Oct 2001 16:38:42 -0700
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        clefevre@citeweb.net
Cc:        Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>, Igor M Podlesny <hostmaster@morning.ru>, "Daniel C. Sobral" <dcs@newsguy.com>, Vadim Vygonets <vadik-hackers@freebsd.vygo.net>, freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: loader.conf conditional assignment

> Mike Smith wrote:
> > > Is there any chance off implementing syntax like
> > >
> > > kernel=${kernel:-/kernel}
> > >
> > > which is obviously sh-compilant?
> >
> > I don't much like either of these proposals.
> >
> > My principal objection is that they're trying to solve the wrong problem.
> >
> > The original poster is setting $kernel in the DHCP client code, and then
> > having it overwritten when defaults/loader.conf is parsed.
> >
> > If instead they set $dhcp_kernel, and then put
> >
> > kernel=$dhcp_kernel
> >
> > in their "real" loader.conf the entire problem should go away, and we
> > don't have to extend any of the syntax.
>
> what's happen if $dhcp_kernel isn't sets ?

$kernel is set to nothing.

However, in this user's application, this isn't going to happen unless
they're misconfigured.  They won't have fetched the loader.conf that
contains the above assignment unless they've contacted the right DHCP
server in the first place.

Note that this could *also* be worked around by setting $dhcp_kernel and
then testing for it in an additional Forth procedure that runs after
boot-conf.

There are lots of ways of customising this.  I'm not certain yet how we
should handle the integration of DHCP parameters into the loader
environment space; any solution needs to work well across the entire
spectrum.