Date:      Sat, 23 Dec 1995 12:16:01 -0800
From:      Josh MacDonald <jmacd@paris.CS.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   gcc 2.7.1

I know I brought this up a while ago about when gcc(and especially g++)
2.7.1 are going to be incorperated into the source tree.  Last time I asked
it seemed like no one really cared, like gcc 2.6.3 is good enough, well
I guess a lot of you aren't using c++, because g++ has so many bugs, to
the point of being unusable almost.   consider:

template <bool b> class test { public: test() { if(b) (void)0; } };
main() { test<true> t; }

test.cc: In method `test<1>::test()':
test.cc:1: Internal compiler error.
test.cc:1: Please submit a full bug report to `bug-g++@prep.ai.mit.edu'.

I was able to build everything, but it seems like GNU isn't really
doing a very good keeping the sources portable to FreeBSD.  There
were places I had to add (defined __FreeBSD__) where they left us out
in the include files to make stdarg.h be compatible.  Also the default
FreeBSD configuration file says our assembler supports the .weak macro,
so thinks it can generate those instructions.  This has to be disabled
in the configuration file by undefining ASM_WEAKEN_LABEL in
config/i386/FreeBSD.h.  I wonder why it was there in the first place.

libg++ compiles.  I can't build shared libraries.  the ld man page says
we have a -Ur flag like the current GNU linker but its not really supported.
I wonder how that happened.

I don't think its too big a deal now, I have it working, but I think that
it gives a bad name to FreeBSD, that new versions of gcc which come out
are not least ported in reasonable time.  For someone developing c++
applications its a big deal.

So I ask, what prevents gcc 2.7.x from being imported into the source tree?
I know of no bugs which it has that 2.6.3 didn't.

-josh