Date:      Tue, 11 May 1999 14:05:12 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        JJZhang <JJZhang@gainsoft.net>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mirrored root fs (was: Disk Mirror)

On Monday, 10 May 1999 at 20:44:45 -0700, JJZhang wrote:
> On  Monday, May 10, 1999 4:19 PM, JJZhang <JJZhang@gainsoft.net> wrote:
>>
>>   I will install one new FreeBSD-3.1. Because the data on it is critical, I
>> want to use disk mirror: that is, when the main disk fail, I can only switch
>> the disk cable and use the other disk as boot disk to continue work, at the
>> same time I can repair the bad disk. Any one can tell me which software is
>> going? ccd or vinum or any other?

Both ccd and vinum will do this.

>   Actually I was running two FreeBSD 2.2.X for more than one year. Because I
> found vinum need "unused" file system,

Well, in fact Vinum needs a "vinum" partition, but it will currently
accept an "unused" partition.  That's easy to change: use disklabel
-e.  The reason for this requirement is to stop you from shooting
yourself in the foot and overwriting a file system.

> so I decided to install new FreeBSD-3.1-stable to support disk
> mirror so that when something happen and no technical guys in, I can
> only tell someone to switch the disks and I can repair the bad fs
> remotely.

You don't need to "switch the disks" with Vinum.  It just carries on
running.  With ccd, you need to reconfigure and reboot.

> But I really doesn't find the root fs can be mirrored by vinum! I
> checked the ccd, still didn't find such information.

Currently neither Vinum nor ccd can mirror the root file system.  I'm
planning to do this for Vinum in a couple of months.

Greg