Date:      Tue, 21 Jul 1998 10:25:07 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Dan Rench <drench@dipsy.lvdl.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Advice wanted: upgrade or cvsup?

I've got a 2.2.1-RELEASE machine that I want to bring up to date,
but I haven't decided what method to use.

I recently used cvsup to bring a machine running 2.2.2-RELEASE up
to 2.2.6-STABLE and it went well, but I have the 2.2.6 CDROMs
so choosing an 'upgrade' install is an option.  I just don't know
which is the *better* option, or even if one is considered "better"
than the other (where "better" in my case would mean "minimum hassle";
I'd like to minimize downtime, too, but that's not as important as
a smooth transition).

The 2.2.2-RELEASE machine basically had no users (aside from me) and
very few services running on it so I wasn't too worried if I screwed
up the upgrade.  Not so for the 2.2.1-RELEASE machine; it's got several
users and runs plenty of services (over the last year or so since I
installed this thing I keep throwing more and more "stuff" on it and
the load average *still* usually sits near 0; I just want to give this
machine something to do!).  So I'm a bit nervous about this since it's
worked so well for so long (except for the fact that I risk a system
crash if I try a tape backup; this is a known issue in 2.2.1 and is
the main reason I want to upgrade; I don't often like to fix what's not
broke).

Dan Rench
Lake Villa District Library