Date:      Mon, 06 Dec 2004 20:26:20 -0800
From:      Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:    Re: Disk problems - hard error reading fsbn NNNNNNNN (Bullet dodged)

Lowell Gilbert wrote:

>Matt Navarre <mnavarre@cox.net> writes:
>

>>Now, on to the damaged sectors, how to recover the data? dd stops when
>>it hits bad blocks, so we can't use that to copy the slice. same with
>>dump(8) as far as I can tell. So. Download dd_rescue from
>>http://www.garlof.de/kurt/linux/ddrescue/
>>

>Just out of interest: how is that different than "dd conv=noerror"?

Huh, you learn something new every day. Actually dd_rescue looks closer
to dd conv=noerror,sync since it replaces input errors with NULs.

Anyway dd_rescue worked for me, tho I suspect that dd would have worked
also, if I'd read the manpage closer. But, hey, Bad Disk + No Backups =
Major Freakout Mode.