Date:      Fri, 18 Sep 2020 11:29:45 +0000
From:      Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
To:        grarpamp <grarpamp@gmail.com>
Cc:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 12.2R Sigs

--VIOdPewhitSMo36n

On Thu, Sep 17, 2020 at 09:09:26PM -0400, grarpamp wrote:

> >> Future noting that lists do not support foreknown path schemes
> >> for that data. Whereas repo, website and dataset locations are more
> >> predictable and programmatic... allowing fetching, validation, etc.
> >
> > And for RC builds, they are predictable and programmatic.
>=20
> Users would have to get and search the entire lists content to
> find such sig posts, unfortunately no there are no nice predicted
> paths to such single emails supporting simple fetch of associated
> sig infos, ie: no schema <service>://<path_to_data>/13.x/<foo>.asc
>=20
> Mail are not, it can't... ie: it has no hier, path, file globbing regex *=
, etc.
>=20
> The website and distribution methods mentioned earlier are
> possible. (Now just for RC and RELEASE, as clarified in thread.)
>=20
> Website has them in nice paths today,
>=20
> individually...
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.1R/signatures.html
>=20
> and in bulk...
> https://www.freebsd.org/releases/12.1R/announce.asc
>=20
> but they are not present in what should be their natural
> cohabitation set within the other distribution methods,
> such as the case of https / ftp / rsync / torrent / etc for...
> https://download.freebsd.org/ftp/releases/amd64/amd64/ISO-IMAGES/12.1/
>=20
> > I am not on postmaster.
>=20
> What that mean in context?
> Only some volunteer for that role, as any other,
> it's ok not to be in two or more of them.

Sorry, something you said was misinterpreted by me, and I was answering
something that I thought you had asked, but had not.  So it is a bit
difficult for me to explain what I meant with this part of my reply.

In any case, after the doc tree is tagged (which is included on the
installation medium for reproducibility), RC1 and subsequent RCs and the
final RELEASE build will be programmatically fetchable.  The
announce.asc file is only created for the final RELEASE build, however.

Glen

--VIOdPewhitSMo36n

--VIOdPewhitSMo36n--