Date:      Thu, 19 Aug 1999 00:42:05 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@kdm.org>
Cc:        Bill Paul <wpaul@skynet.ctr.columbia.edu>, Charles Randall <crandall@matchlogic.com>, dmiller@search.sparks.net, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Gigabit ethernet support?

"Kenneth D. Merry" wrote:

> Wes Peters wrote...
> > Bill Paul wrote:
> > >
> > > Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Charles Randall
> > > had to walk into mine and say:

Not on mine, it's running about 45%.  The other end is much faster, a PII/400,
and is just discarding the packets, so it's not sweating.

> I would recommend that you make sure you've got a couple of things tweaked,
> they may increase your performance somewhat:
>
> - set your MTU to 9000, unless of course you're going through a switch that
>   can't handle it

Not yet, that's part of what I will be developing.  ;^)  Due to architectural
limitations, we may not be able to support jumbo frames larger than 8k.

> - turn on net.inet.tcp.rfc1323, it enables support for TCP windows larger
>   than 64K

OK.

> - increase net.inet.tcp.sendspace and net.inet.tcp.recvspace to 256K.
>   You'll have to edit src/sys/socketvar.h and increase SB_MAX.  From what
>   I've seen (this may not be quite correct, but it's close enough) SB_MAX
>   has to be double whatever you want to set sendspace and recvspace to.
>   This has the effect of changing the TCP window size to 256K, I think.
>   From what I've seen, increasing it to 512K is counterproductive unless
>   you've got a card with 1MB of SRAM on board.  (The Netgear boards have
>   512K.)

OK.

> And finally, netperf seems to work reasonably well for testing performance:
>
> http://www.netperf.org

Cool.  I've been using several tools, since we do our real performance testing
with a SmartBits.  I use spray to generate UDP traffic and a hacked-up version
of tcpblast for tcp traffic.  I'll clean it up and re-release it one of these
days.

> > They're relatively cheap, too, going for $339 at DataComm Warehouse.
>
> FWIW, NECX has them for $310.

Cool.  We don't have an account there; if I get one from DataComm all I
have to do is give them the account number and it shows up on my desk the
next morning.  It's MORE convenient than going to the store.  ;^)

http://softweyr.com/                                           wes@softweyr.com