Date:      Thu, 25 Mar 1999 21:44:54 -0600 (CST)
From:      Steve Price <sprice@hiwaay.net>
To:        Jim Mock <jim@corp.au.triax.com>
Cc:        ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Makefile help

On Fri, 26 Mar 1999, Jim Mock wrote:

# Hi folks,
#
# I'm in the process of upgrading the ascd port to 0.10.1, and I'm
# running into a problem.  Here's the situation..
#
# I'm trying to make it install to the X prefix (/usr/X11R6/bin) but
# it's not.  It keeps installing in /usr/local instead.  I tried adding
# some stuff under do-install, but then none of the required libraries
# get installed.  Here's what the relevant part of the Makefile
# currently looks like..
#
# USE_IMAKE=      yes
# MAN1=           ascd.1
#
# do-install:
#         ${INSTALL_PROGRAM} ${WRKSRC}/ascd-0.10.1/ascd ${PREFIX}/bin
#         ${INSTALL_MAN} ${WRKSRC}/ascd-0.10.1/ascd.man \
#                 ${PREFIX}/man/man1/ascd.1
#         ${GZIP_CMD} ${PREFIX}/man/man1/ascd.1
# .if !defined(NOPORTDOCS)
#         ${MKDIR} ${PREFIX}/share/doc/ascd
#         ${INSTALL_MAN} ${WRKSRC}/ascd-0.10.1/README \
#                 ${PREFIX}/share/doc/ascd
# .endif
#
# .include <bsd.port.mk>
#
# That's the only way I've found that makes it install to X prefix, but
# none of the libs are installed and it doesn't run as a result.
# Removing the do-install stuff allows the port to build and installs
# everything (and it works) but it's not in X prefix.  Is this a big
# deal?  Should I just let it install to /usr/local instead or is there
# a way I can make it install the libs doing it as above?
#
# Also, since USE_IMAKE implies USE_X_PREFIX, the deinstall looks in
# /usr/X11R6 for the files in the PLIST and doesn't find them there.
# Setting USE_X_PREFIX to no doesn't matter, it still looks in
# /usr/X11R6 and doesn't find them.

The test in ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk is '.if defined(USE_X_PREFIX)' so
you need to un-define it for that to work.

# So basically, my questions are..
#
# Is there a way to make it install everything into X prefix (including
# the libs)?

The key is probably in the Imakefile.  Can you send me a copy and let
me take a look?

# If it's not a big deal that it installs into /usr/local, how can I get
# deinstall to look there instead of X prefix?

One way (though you didn't here it from me :) is to add a line like

PREFIX=	${LOCALBASE}

# Am I missing something right in front of my face?  Any pointers in the
# right direction would be very much appreciated.
#
# Later,
#
# --