Date:      Wed, 2 Aug 2006 13:30:01 -0500
From:      "Rick C. Petty" <rick-freebsd@kiwi-computer.com>
To:        Miroslav Lachman <000.fbsd@quip.cz>
Cc:        freebsd-geom@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: gmirror Cannot add disk ad5 to gm0 (error=22)

On Wed, Aug 02, 2006 at 10:46:08AM +0200, Miroslav Lachman wrote:

> Aug  1 00:03:42 track kernel: ad5: TIMEOUT - WRITE_DMA48 retrying (1
> retry left) LBA=290279525

Out of curiosity-- what's the dmesg output of your ATA controllers?

> I tried smartctl -a /dev/ad4 and smartctl -a /dev/ad5, but does not see
> any errors.

Did you have SMART enabled in the BIOS?

> If I use gmirror activate -v gm0 ad5 I got
> Aug  2 10:24:03 track kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Component ad5 (device gm0)
> broken, skipping.
> Aug  2 10:24:03 track kernel: GEOM_MIRROR: Cannot add disk ad5 to gm0
> (error=22).

It's already activated, so you can't add it again (as the message states).

> I can successfuly mount partitions from drive ad5 like this
> mount /dev/ad5s2d /mnt
>
> (Aug  2 10:35:21 track kernel: WARNING: /vol0 was not properly dismounted)
>
> And read any files from this drive.

That shouldn't be a surprise-- the disks themselves didn't fail, only
writing to them (possibly under heavy load?) failed-- and gmirror dropped
the disks.  The first disk drop was ok-- the mirror should still work in
DEGRADED state.  The second drop was critical which is why your system
broke.  Mounting the disks individually will work of course.

> Can anybody tell me, where is the problem / how can I found what is wrong?

What's the output of "gmirror status" ??  I suspect on a reboot, gmirror
will try to synchronize ad4 to ad5 (since ad5 was the first to drop).  Once
that is complete, gmirror won't be DEGRADED anymore.

-- Rick C. Petty