Date:      Thu, 1 May 2008 14:33:02 +0200
From:      Mel <fbsd.questions@rachie.is-a-geek.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        "A. Hamilton-Wright" <andrewhw@ieee.org>
Subject:   Re: dmesg empty after shutdown -r

On Thursday 01 May 2008 13:58:45 A. Hamilton-Wright wrote:
> > On Thursday 01 May 2008 01:58:46 A Hamilton-Wright wrote:
> >> After "shutdown -r now" and the subsequent reboot, I have
>
>    (... no dmesg)
>
> On Thu, 1 May 2008, Mel wrote:
> > dmesg -M doesn't show anything either?
>
> Wish I'd thought to try that last night.  I eventually shut it
> down again (shutdown -p) until I could come in this morning and
> take a look at the console while booting -- and now everything
> is fine.  I have now tried a few reboots (shutdown -r) and halts
> (shutdown -h), and I have a dmesg every time it recovers.

Just for the record, I asked because by default, dmesg uses kvm_read(3) to
read the kernel's message buffer. -M tries to read the sysctl kern.msgbuf, so
in the event kvm_read screwed up somewhere without noting an error,
the 'backdoor' might just work. Pure speculation without having looked in
detail at the kernel code, but I wanted to rule it out. What I did suspect,
is that kernel's message buffer didn't get filled to begin with and that's a
whole different ballgame.

FYI: unless you really need dmesg to work for normal operations, you could've
just let it up running and use scroll-lock+arrows/pgup|down to go all the way
back up to btx loader. If it was the kernel message buffer not getting
filled, I'd suspect some kind of message complaining about that.
I know that doesn't help now, but for next time and googlers ;)
--
Mel

    and never get to the software part.