Date:      4 Jun 2000 23:11:50 GMT
From:      "Frank J. Beckmann" <frank@vogon.agala.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Setting up a serial printer

Hi,

I have a Lexmark Optra R+ hooked up to my pc via a serial port.
The printcap entry looks like this:

ps1200|lp|Lexmark Optra R+ 1200dpi:\
        :br#230400:of=/usr/local/bin/optrar-1200dpi-filter:\
        :sd=/var/spool/lpd/ps1200dpi:lp=/dev/cuaa9:sh:\
        :ms=dsrflow,dtrflow,crtscts,ixon,cs8,-parenb,-parodd:mx#0:

Printing works fine except when the printer is switched off.
The print jobs get queued then and lpd waits for the printer to
get switched on. As soon as the printer gets switched on the
jobs get send to the printer but the printer is not yet ready
then, so the jobs get lost.

How do I have to configure printer and lpd?

Frank