Date:      Thu, 14 May 1998 17:15:30 -0400
From:      Randall Hopper <rhh@ct.picker.com>
To:        Dru Nelson <dnelson@slip.net>, multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Mark Hittinger <msh@FreeBSD.ORG>, freebsd-multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, Luigi Rizzo <luigi@labinfo.iet.unipi.it>
Subject:   Re: BT848 and VBI data

Dru Nelson:
 |  If I don't hear anything, I'll probably be creating a hacked
 |  up brooktree or meteor driver so I can ioctl and get just vbi.

Mark Hittinger:
 |I am also very interested in an ability to pull raw vbi data out of a video
 |feed (say cspan) and pass the raw data to a user level program for decoding
 |and/or processing :-)

Luigi Rizzo:
 |i did that, and depending on how you do it it takes a lot of CPU to do
 |the resampling of video data. See the old stuff at
 |http://www.iet.unipi.it/~luigi/FreeBSD.html -- references to teletext

I'd also be interested in this if it can be implemented generically.  That
is, so the data stream (Intercast, Teletext, etc.) can be attributed so
apps can pick out the pieces (chunks) they understand and want, and can
easily skip over and toss the rest.  Something like a simple RIFF stream.

Probably want a circular buffer for this, which the client can poll at its
leasure.  Need some file desc event to signal when the head has overwritten
the tail so the client knows when to reset its reading state.

I don't know anything about either the Intercast of Teletext streams, and
what about those streams is public or proprietary, so I can't really
comment more than that.

Randall