Date:      Wed, 30 Sep 1998 01:46:20 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        phk@critter.freebsd.dk (Poul-Henning Kamp)
Cc:        abial@nask.pl, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: VM mmap file extension bug still exists? (off topic)

> >Hmm... There must be something in e-mail communication which most of us,
> >mortals, is still missing... ;-))
>
> No, it is a vital principle in many protocols, it's called keep-alive.
>
> In this case it is responsible for keeping the noise on our mailiing
> lists above the tolerable level for normal sane persons.

Actually, I've so far been able to demonstrate the bug to three
credible people who were willing to look at the source code for
more than 5 minutes.

Matt Dillion was actually able to demonstrate the corruption on
a running system, the first case I have seen of this other than
on a 486DX machine.  So much for the theory about the 486 L1
cache being buggy and/or the problem being in the 486 specific bcopy
code.

Julian and I went through and tested the patches, and subsequently
rolled a cannonically correct version of the patch that adds the
parameter to *_pager_alloc.

In the process, we found another boundary problem in vfs_object_create
in /sys/kern/vfs_subr.c, where it makes a mapping larger than the
backing object when it calls vnode_pager_alloc() (it rounds it up
to the page boundary, so even with my original workaround, this
case was broken).

Luckily, there are people like Julian and John Dyson to give constructive
criticism and code to keep me honest... this was definitely not a
solo kill on this thing.

					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---