Date:      Fri, 20 Sep 1996 17:49:45 -0700
From:      Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>
To:        Terry Lambert <terry@lambert.org>
Cc:        smpatel@umiacs.umd.edu (Sujal Patel), janus@freegate.net, hackers@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   USB + Re: Plug and Play naivety

>From The Desk Of Terry Lambert :
> > > 1. mail from Sujal notes that "if your motherboard supports PnP
> > > devices, then you don't need this code". What does this mean?
> > > I've been told that the BIOS on the machine I'm using has
> > > "Plug and Play" support ... does this mean it's possible that the
> > > BIOS has queried the ISA devices on boot and already has all the
> > > config info? Can I get at this somehow from the kernel? Or is this
> > > only referring to PCI kind of Plug and Play?
> >
> > The PnP-aware BIOS will configure all ISA PnP cards (to the best of it's
> > ability) during the boot up cycle.  If the BIOS gets this wrong (which it
> > often does), you'll need to either use the PnP driver or turn if PnP (if
> > the device supports that option).
>
> This exchange implies that the kernel will not use the PnP information
> in the presence of a PnP BIOS to configure the drivers.  Can you confirm
> or deny this?

Yes, I can confirm that the GUS PnP works with BIOS hints or with hardcoded
values in the kernel config file. Additionally, the GUS PnP fills in the
isa data structures so the rest of the kernel knows what the card
got set to.

Since we are discussing PnP and thats good 8) what about support
for USB devices??

	Enjoy,
	Amancio