Date:      Thu, 5 Oct 2006 00:14:33 -0400
From:      Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
To:        Scott Long <scottl@samsco.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org, Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Subject:   Re: em, bge, network problems survey.

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

On Wed, Oct 04, 2006 at 05:14:27PM -0600, Scott Long wrote:
> All,
>=20
> I'm seeing some patterns here with all of the network driver problem=20
> reports, but I need more information to help narrow it down further.
> I ask all of you who are having problems to take a minute to fill
> out this survey and return it to Kris Kennaway (on cc:) and myself.
> Thanks.
>=20
> 1. Are you experiencing network hangs and/or "timeout" messages on the=20
> console?  If yes, please provide a _brief_ description of the problem.

After Bill Moran set me up with access to his machine that is
experiencing bce timeouts, I determined that his instance of the
problem is due to a bce driver bug (which triggered an INVARIANTS
sanity check when configured, and panicked).  I suspect there are
several seperate problem here though (this one did not involve em at
all).  Nevertheless, a similar driver bug may be to blame in other
cases too.

So, can everyone who is seeing some kind of driver watchdog timeout
problem please recompile their kernels with the following options:

option INVARIANTS=20
option INVARIANT_SUPPORT

and confirm (in addition to the information previously requested)
whether or not their kernel panics in conjunction with the timeout.
If yes, then you can follow the information in the developers'
handbook chapter on kernel debugging to proceed with gathering the
information we'll need to proceed.

Kris

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm

--EVF5PPMfhYS0aIcm--