Date:      Mon, 23 Apr 2001 07:17:31 +0200 (SAT)
From:      John Hay <jhay@icomtek.csir.co.za>
To:        jason@dstc.edu.au (jason andrade)
Cc:        cejkar@dcse.fee.vutbr.cz (Cejka Rudolf), hubs@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: if you wanted somewhere else to mirror 4.3-RELEASE from..

> > I have all the stuff from ftp://ftp.FreeBSD.org/pub/FreeBSD/releases/i386,
> > but 4.3-RELEASE/packages seems to be very small (400 MB). However, I have
> > seen one full mirror update without any need to download more files.
>
> can you confirm the small packages size ?  the 4.2-release packages snapshot
> is normally more like 2.6G.. so that's too small to be complete IMHO.

My guess would be that this is the packages that fits on the first iso.
Maybe only the iso was copied to ftp.freebsd.org and then the packages
extracted from it?

I checked the CHECKSUM.MD5 file on bento and that has 4577 entries.

BTW. ftp.internat.freebsd.org aka ftp.za.freebsd.org have the iso and
the release bits and also about 400M of packages. We only have a 1.5M
link into the internet though. :-/

John
--
John Hay -- John.Hay@icomtek.csir.co.za