Date:      Mon, 23 Oct 1995 15:30:30 -0400
From:      "Garrett A. Wollman" <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
Subject:   [David Borman: New BSD telnet code: Rev 2]

------- start of forwarded message (RFC 934 encapsulation) -------
From: David Borman <dab@cray.com>
Sender: ietf-request@IETF.CNRI.Reston.VA.US
To: TN3270E@list.nih.gov, ietf@CNRI.Reston.VA.US, tcp-ip@sacto.mp.usbr.gov,
        telnet-ietf@cray.com
Subject: New BSD telnet code: Rev 2
Date: Mon, 23 Oct 1995 10:40:05 -0500

My sincere apologies, but in my effort to get out the new version of the
BSD telnet code, I screwed up some strcmp() checks, causing a loss of
functionality.  My thanks to Sam Hartman at MIT for noticing this.  If
you picked up the 95.10.19 release, you should pick up the new release,
which can be found at:

	ftp://ftp.cray.com/src/telnet/telnet.95.10.23.NE.tar.Z

or you can just get:

	ftp://ftp.cray.com/src/telnet/sys_term.c.95.10.23

and replace telnetd/sys_term.c with this new module.

This version does not contain encryption.  An archive with the
encryption code has been sent off to MIT, and hopefully it will
show up on net-dist.mit.edu:/pub/telnet in the near future. See:
	ftp://ftp.cray.com/src/telnet/README.encryption
for more information on how to get it.  Until then, you can also
get the file:
	ftp://ftp.cray.com/src/telnet/telnet.95.10.23.diff.Z
which contains the diffs to apply to the telnet.95.05.31.tar.Z to
get to the new version.  (Note: telnetd/sys_term.c is the same
in both the encryption and non-encryption releases.)

If you are using telnetd from the 95.05.31 distribution, I would
recommend that you upgrade to this new release.  (One major problem
that people have run into that is fixed in the release is that the
/etc/utmp file could get mucked up on SunOS/Solaris.)

		-David Borman, dab@cray.com