Date:      Mon, 26 Jun 2000 20:13:54 +0200
From:      Angelo Turetta <aturetta@rainbownet.com>
To:        "'freebsd-questions@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Troubles building ports

Hi everyone,

After creating a minimal port tree by running the following commands (please
assume '-r RELENG_3' in every CVS command):

   cd /usr
   cvs checkout ports/Makefile
   cvs checkout ports/Mk
   cvs checkout ports/www/analog
   cvs checkout ports/net/bounce

I am perfectly able to
   cd /usr/ports/net/bounce     (source is a single .c file)
   make
   make install

But if I try building analog as follows, the make process fails. Apparently
it fails in assembling the tarball file name from the port name/version.

   su-2.03# cd /usr/ports/www/analog
   su-2.03# make
   >> .tar.gz doesn't seem to exist on this system.
   >> Attempting to fetch from http://www.analog.cx/.
   fetch: .tar.gz: www.analog.cx: HTTP server returned error code 404
        ..... (more tries omitted) ......
   >> Couldn't fetch it - please try to retrieve this
   >> port manually into /usr/ports/distfiles/ and try again.
   *** Error code 1

Of course putting the tarball in /usr/ports/distfiles doesn't help, as the
make searches for the wrong file (.tar.gz), and then attempts to download it
again.
What am I missing?  Do I need any other part of the FreeBSD directory tree
(not installed by a kernel-developer install from the 3.4 CD) to build
ports?

Thanks for any help
(please cc. replies to me, I'm not on this list)

Angelo Turetta.

Stop.