Date:      Sat, 24 Nov 2012 13:44:15 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <yanegomi@gmail.com>
To:        Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU>
Cc:        Nikos Vassiliadis <nvass@gmx.com>, Dimitry Andric <dim@FreeBSD.org>, "freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org" <freebsd-current@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: strange buildworld failure

On Nov 24, 2012, at 11:48 AM, Benjamin Kaduk <kaduk@MIT.EDU> wrote:

> On Sat, 24 Nov 2012, Nikos Vassiliadis wrote:
>=20
>>> Well, either a full log, or the tail of the log, as long as it contains
>>> the actual command(s) that failed.  Sometimes it can help to search
>>> backwards with less, or your favorite editor, for the string "error:",
>>> or if there is no such string, searching for other problem indicators.
>>> Also, copies of make.conf and src.conf are often essential in finding
>>> the cause of the problem.  Many build issues are caused by erroneous
>>> settings. :)
>>=20
>> By the way, I tried to add some debugging info with the help of make -d A=

>> or -d g2 but the amount of logging was excessive(the build was ran in a t=
mux
>> terminal and the tmux process was using more CPU time than the build itse=
lf,
>> so I canceled). What should I use with "make -d" in order to get some bas=
ic
>> debugging? Or is there another way?
>=20
> Most cases I know of where a parallel make fails and a serial make succeed=
s are due to incomplete specification of dependencies.  This can usually be c=
hased down with just a build log, without extra debugging information.  I ha=
ve only needed to resort to the make debugging outputs when doing more inter=
esting things like custom suffix rules or using the SRCS+OBJS magic provided=
 by the system makefiles in unusual ways.

The more likely explanation is that one of the parallel threads died because=
 of enomem, enospc, or a number of other reasons, and it was some time earli=
er on in the compile. Stating that it was a build dependency issue is probab=
ly not a wise idea at this time as we do not have enough data (logs, no -d A=
 required) to substantiate that claim.

Thanks,
-Garrett=