Date:      Wed, 14 Jul 1999 11:04:15 +0200
From:      Robert Elz <kre@munnari.OZ.AU>
To:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>
Cc:        Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>, freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG, tech-userlevel@netbsd.org
Subject:   Re: Replacement for grep(1) (part 2)

    Date:        Tue, 13 Jul 1999 15:37:26 -0700 (PDT)
    From:        Matthew Dillon <dillon@apollo.backplane.com>

  |     allocation - most everything is statically allocated and if the system
  |     tries to use more, it panics and reboots.

I'm finding it difficult to continue taking seriously anyone who
believes that "crash and reboot" is a suitable response to anything
at all.

I have implemented embedded systems, they most certainly did dynamic
memory allocation (no way to fit in available memory resources if
everything was pre-allocated) and "panic and reboot" is not something
I would consider as a satisfactory tactic.

kre