Date:      Tue, 19 Jun 2001 13:56:25 +0400
From:      "Nickolay A. Kritsky" <nkritsky@internethelp.ru>
Subject:   Re: IPFW newbie

The easiest way is:

#echo 'firewall_enable="YES"' >>/etc/rc.conf
#echo 'firewall_type="OPEN"' >>/etc/rc.conf

after installing new kernel this will result in following set of rules (this is testted on 4.2, but should not differ for other
versions):

#ipfw list
00100    allow ip from any to any via lo0
00200    deny ip from any to 127.0.0.0/8
65000    allow ip from any to any
65535    deny ip from any to any

Now you can connect to your box via SSH and continue firewall setup.

But WARNING! Learning ipfw without direct access to the server is, IMHO very unhealthy. IMHO, it sucks! I am IPFW newbie myself and
had some sad experience with remote firewall setup ;-) . At least you must have remote reboot-knob, which does not relies on IP
(like very very long broomstick mounted to RESET key :-) ).

Good Luck!

NKritsky - SysAdmin InternetHelp.Ru
http://www.internethelp.ru
e-mail: nkritsky@internethelp.ru