Date:      Mon, 14 Aug 2000 02:37:43 -0700
From:      erik <devvnull@crosswinds.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Large disk and /boot partition relocation ..can I?

Hi folks,

 I have a quick but rather technical question - I could find nothing about
this in any of the literature and a comment from an experienced FreeBSD
person would be really great. Here's  the scene:

 I have a 20 GIG drive with three OS's there -> SuSE linux, debian (potato)
and a debian (woody) for development.  I use a trick to boot these in
linux and I am not sure that it will work with BSD:  At the the beginning
of the drive I always put two **small (10 MB )** primary partitions. Then I
can mount /boot (NOTE: this is _not_ the same as / ) on /dev/hda1 or 2 for
the OS's high on the drive.

 I know that I could mount / on one of these partitions with BSD but they
are not big enough for that - /boot is a very small partition on linux
containing only those things needed at boot time.

MY QUESTION:  Is there a way that I can put kernel and such in a boot
partition and make the same arrangement ?? I simply do not know enough
about the BSD loader and so on to tell. I'd like to get BSD on the high
end of the drive which is where my development system is - the low end
has to stay the way it is for now.

 Comments would be greatly appreciated and if you wish you may also reply
or CC to me directly as I am not actually subscribed to this list -but
I'll check back here too, so don't go out of your way or anything ...

Thanks all,
erik