Date:      Sat, 31 Jan 1998 11:40:57 +0100 (MET)
From:      Nick Hibma <nick.hibma@jrc.it>
To:        freebsd-scsi@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   patches for timeouts:

---559023410-1806850893-886242799=:24374

Modification of time out values for FreeBSD-2.2.1 & FreeBSD
3.0-970522-SNAP

During playing around with my removable media daemon I had this experience
that a number of time outs were a bit on the short side:

   scsi_start_unit
   scsi_stop_unit

Spin down takes approximately 15 seconds on the JAZ drive. When you send
the drive a command during the spin down, it locks up and needs to be
switched on and off to restore proper behaviour. This solution has been
found somewhere in the archives for Linux.

Another one is the recognition of the tape drives. Can't remember what I
exactly did to that one, but upon recognition of an old Archive Viper with
a tape inserted it takes about 40 seconds to get online. FreeBSD in the
meantime decides that it needs to pop round the errors departement and go
read through those message, aloud. I will post this one as soon as I get
that one here.

(Don't you love free OS's?)

Nick Hibma

*** scsi_base.c	Sun Dec 21 18:00:38 1997
--- scsi_base.c.NWH	Sun Dec 21 16:53:54 1997
***************
*** 331,337 ****
  		0,
  		0,
  		2,
! 		10000,
  		NULL,
  		flags));
  }
--- 331,339 ----
  		0,
  		0,
  		2,
! 		/* 10000 - JAZ drive needs >10s - nick.hibma@jrc.it **** NWH */
! 		15000,
! 		/* End ************************************************* NWH */
  		NULL,
  		flags));
  }
***************
*** 359,365 ****
  		0,
  		0,
  		2,
! 		10000,
  		NULL,
  		flags));
  }
--- 361,369 ----
  		0,
  		0,
  		2,
! 		/* 10000 - JAZ drive needs >10s - nick.hibma@jrc.it **** NWH */
! 		15000,
! 		/* End ************************************************* NWH */
  		NULL,
  		flags));
  }

ME-SAI, Joint Research Centre, Italy
building: 69
tel.: +39 332 78 9943
fax.: +39 332 78 9648

---559023410-1806850893-886242799=:24374
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---559023410-1806850893-886242799=:24374--