Date:      Tue, 29 Sep 2020 11:35:03 -0400
From:      Mason Loring Bliss <mason@blisses.org>
To:        Glen Barber <gjb@freebsd.org>
Cc:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD 12.2-BETA3 Now Available

--OgApRN/oydYDdnYz

On Sat, Sep 26, 2020 at 01:08:43AM +0000, Glen Barber wrote:

> Note regarding arm SD card images: For convenience for those without
> console access to the system, a freebsd user with a password of
> freebsd is available by default for ssh(1) access.

Vaguely related... Something I've been wondering recently is whether
there'd be support for the idea of converting /etc/master.passwd,
/etc/passwd, /etc/rc.conf, and /etc/ssh/sshd_config in install media to
symlinks pointing into /tmp/bsdinstall_etc.

As of today I use mount_unionfs to modify these so I can fire up sshd
inside the installer image live environment, but it does seem like a missed
opportunity to make sshd available usefully out of the box, especially
since the bits are all there already - it's just not possible to make use
of them without some trickery because of the immutable configs.

--=20
Mason Loring Bliss  ((   If I have not seen as far as others, it is because
 mason@blisses.org   ))   giants were standing on my shoulders. - Hal Abels=
on

--OgApRN/oydYDdnYz

--OgApRN/oydYDdnYz--