Date:      Mon, 12 Feb 2001 08:20:55 -0800
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@elischer.org>
To:        kiguchi@excite.com
Cc:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ADSL and PPPoE question

kiguchi@excite.com wrote:

> I'm very sorry if this is a stupid question.
>
> In our company, we want to set up a small network of about 20 PCs.   ADSL
> seems like a good inexpensive solution, and I understand that FreeBSD with
> Netgraph can act like a gateway for our computers.

are they in different places?

Negraph/ppp can act as a gateway for pppoe connections but I am not sure
how that helps you. How do you get the ADSL sessions to terminate on
an ethernet in your office?
(does your ISP provide that service?)

> What I don't understand is whether we will have to use IP aliasing (NAT) or
> we can have our own routable IP range.

That very much depends on what you think the topology looks like.?

> Since ADSL is a Point-to-point link
> over Ethernet, does the protocol / one ADSL line support more than one IP,
> or will everything have to be aliased?

the single ADSL line CAN support several PPPoE sessions,
and each PPPoE can support one ppp session
and each PPP session can support multiple IP sessions, but only
one set of endpoints.

To understand whether this helps you we need to know a
little more about what you want to do.

> Thank you
>
> Takashi Kiguchi

      __--_|\  Julian Elischer