Date:      Fri, 6 Oct 2000 00:27:11 +0800 (+0800)
From:      Michael Robinson <robinson@netrinsics.com>
To:        freebsd-security@freebsd.org
Subject:   Downgrading securelevel on remote servers

>Then they'd go change /etc/rc.  You could set most of your root
>filesystem, including /etc, schg, which may help, but then you'd be
>making your machine almost unmanagable without console access.  For
>example, how would you fix this chpass bug if you couldn't access the
>console and had no way to lower the securelevel, even with a reboot?

The solution I came to for this problem was to use Gnu Privacy Guard to
sign scripts in /usr/local/etc/secure, and a script that verified the
signatures and executed them prior to the securelevel being set in /etc/rc.

If you needed to do something like change the suid bit on chpass, you would
write a script to do that, sign it, install it, reboot, and remove the script.
The server only kept a copy of the public key (the keyring was noschg, of
course).

I don't need to do that anymore, though, because now I have an OOB Cisco 2509
connected to the console ports on our colocated servers.

	-Michael Robinson