Date:      Wed, 24 Feb 1999 10:16:31 -0500 (EST)
From:      Andrew Gallatin <gallatin@cs.duke.edu>
To:        Ruslan Ermilov <ru@ucb.crimea.ua>
Cc:        "Kenneth D. Merry" <ken@plutotech.com>, allenc@verinet.com, hardware@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Tagged queueing and write cache on WDE SCSI drives

Ruslan Ermilov writes:
 > The best performance is achieved with WC=ON and TQ=OFF.
 >
 > Comments?  More tests?
 >
 > Is this WD-specific?

We have a large number of WD drives which came in donated Intel PII's
For all these drives, TQ off, WC on gives the best results.  For other
vendor's drives (various models of modern Seagate barricuda & cheetah
drives), TQ on, WC on gives the best results.

Given any choice in the matter, I'd never willingly purchase a WD scsi
drive.   Even most modern UDMA IDE drives perform far better.