Date:      Sat, 11 May 1996 11:47:52 -0600
From:      Gary Aitken <garya@ics.com>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   partitioned disk, can't hard boot

I have a 2.1 system running on a disk partitioned with the root
partition set up for win95 and the second partition for freebsd.

If I boot win95 first, then do a soft reboot, I can boot freebsd
fine; but if I do a hard reboot (power cycle or reset), freebsd
starts the boot process (I get the first few devices identified),
but then I get a panic:

panic: cannot mount root

The system is a Micron P100 using a BusLogic BT946C scsi board
with a Conner 1 Gig drive.  The disk was partitioned when freebsd
was installed, after consolidating existing win95 data.

fdisk shows the following:

******* Working on device /dev/rsd0 *******
parameters extracted from in-core disklabel are:
cylinders=1030 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

 Figures below won't work with BIOS for partitions not in cyl 1
parameters to be used for BIOS calculations are:
cylinders=1030 heads=64 sectors/track=32 (2048 blks/cyl)

Warning: BIOS sector numbering starts with sector 1
Information from DOS bootblock is:
The data for partition 0 is:
sysid 6,(Primary 'big' DOS (> 32MB))
    start 32, size 765920 (373 Meg), flag 0
        beg: cyl 0/ sector 1/ head 1;
        end: cyl 373/ sector 32/ head 63
The data for partition 1 is:
sysid 165,(FreeBSD/NetBSD/386BSD)
    start 765952, size 1343488 (656 Meg), flag 80
        beg: cyl 374/ sector 1/ head 0;
        end: cyl 1023/ sector 32/ head 63
The data for partition 2 is:
<UNUSED>
The data for partition 3 is:
<UNUSED>

Can anyone give me some clues as to why I can't hard boot
and possible scenarios to fix it?
--
Gary Aitken		garya@ics.com		(business)
			garya@dreamchaser.org	(personal)