Date:      Tue, 23 Sep 1997 17:39:36 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steven Ames <steve@jef.cioe.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   tape error

I'm getting the following tape errors. The error logged to /var/log/messages
is indicating hardware failure, but the tape worked fine up until recently
when we switched it to a different FreeBSD system (yeah, things break some
times, but I figure I'll at least ask for an alternate opinion). Its from
a FreeBSD 2.2.2-Release system.

% dump 0uaf /dev/nrst0 /var
  DUMP: Date of this level 0 dump: Tue Sep 23 22:20:14 1997
  DUMP: Date of last level 0 dump: the epoch
  DUMP: Dumping /dev/rwd0s1f (/var) to /dev/nrst0
  DUMP: mapping (Pass I) [regular files]
  DUMP: mapping (Pass II) [directories]
  DUMP: estimated 66027 tape blocks.
  DUMP: dumping (Pass III) [directories]
  DUMP: dumping (Pass IV) [regular files]
  DUMP: write error 1000 blocks into volume 1
  DUMP: Do you want to restart?: ("yes" or "no") no
  DUMP: The ENTIRE dump is aborted.
%
% tail -1 /var/log/messages
Sep 23 22:23:15 news /kernel: st0(aic0:2:0): Deferred Error: HARDWARE FAILURE as
c:9,0 Track following error field replaceable unit: 1

Any ideas?

							-Steve