Date:      Fri, 27 May 2011 09:24:54 +0100
From:      Graeme Dargie <arab@tangerine-army.co.uk>
To:        "'questions@freebsd.org'" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: RAM needed for DHCP + router?

-----Original Message-----
From: owner-freebsd-questions@freebsd.org [mailto:owner-freebsd-questions@f=
reebsd.org] On Behalf Of Chris Hill
Sent: 27 May 2011 02:16
To: Gary Gatten; Chuck Swiger
Cc: 'questions@freebsd.org'

On Thu, 26 May 2011, Gary Gatten wrote:

> Your biggest consumers would be FBSD itself and the routing tables. I=20
> *think* full internet routing tables are still less than 512MB, (google=20
> to check), so unless you have more routes than that - 512MB may work,=20
> 1GB most likely will.  Too many unknowns, like; is this ipv4 only or 6=20
> and 4 routes? Tweaked/minimal kernel, etc.

Sorry, forgot to mention: inet4 for now, probably mixed with v6 in years=20
to come. GENERIC kernel if at all possible (trying to minimize maintenance=
=20
and general fussiness level).

And in reponse to Chuck,

> How many DHCP leases and NAT clients?

At any one time, probably dozens (maybe hundreds) of leases and hundreds=20
(maybe thousands) of NAT clients, but not tens of thousands. Leases and=20
NAT clients will come and go on a daily or weekly basis as equipment is=20
tested, configured and shipped out.