Date:      Mon, 2 Jan 2017 11:07:49 -0800
From:      Tim Kientzle <tim@kientzle.com>
To:        tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net>
Cc:        freebsd-arm <freebsd-arm@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: aarch64 on pi3 advice

> On Jan 2, 2017, at 3:54 AM, tech-lists <tech-lists@zyxst.net> wrote:
>
> Hello list,
>
> I've installed aarch64/pi3 cross-compiling on an i7 via crochet onto a
> pi3 machine and it seems to work well. Please advise:
>
> 0. I've fount a config.txt in /boot/efi. Where can I set the speed &
> memory/GPU and what's the syntax?
>
> 1. Can I mount /usr/ports on say a usb stick, compile from there and
> expect it to install OK? /usr/ports would be a symlink to
> /32GB-usbkey/ports. I see that ld & ldd are present, so I guess I can
> compile from ports?

Compiling from ports directly on the board should always work.
If you're familiar with building ports on other FreeBSD systems,
this is probably the easiest approach.

For some architectures, pre-built packages are available.
I've not played with arm64 enough to be familiar with the
situation there.

> 2. I'd like to strip out WITNESS and friends and recompile the kernel.
> Can I do this on the rpi3 and expect it to work?

You should expect it to work.  Of course, arm64 support is very
new, so there could be issues.

> Should I? Or should I just do this on the faster i7?

It should work either way.  Doing it on the rpi3 is a very
good torture test of the system, but doing it on the i7
is likely going to be faster.

(At one point, I had a spare RPi where I did weekly
native system builds and upgrades for almost a year.
I was pleasantly surprised at how stable it was.)

> 3. If I have to go down the route of cross-compiling another image on
> the i7, is there a way I can also install a selection of ports to the
> image before using the image on the pi3?

Crochet has a couple of options for pre-installing packages
to the generated image.  There are still some rough edges,
though.  A few patches were recently submitted that may fix
the worst of the problems.

Tim