Date:      Wed, 5 Jun 2002 22:18:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Thomas D. Dean" <tomdean@speakeasy.org>
To:        chad@shire.net
Cc:        freebsd-hardware@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: ASUS a7m266-d dual Athlon board?

I had problems with the ASUS A7N266-E w/ AMD XP 1800.

The on-board vga is not supported in FreeBSD and causes a system
freeze.

ASUS will NOT provide doc for the chipset, the nVidia nForce 420D.
nVidia will NOT provide doc for ANY chipset.

AMD provides doc for their 760 series chipset.  I do not know if it
supports ECC, but, if it does, I recommend you find a MB that has that
chipset.

I would avoid nVidia chipsets and ASUS motherboards because of their
refusal to provide FreeBSD developers with docs for the chipset so
drivers can be developed.

tomdean