Date:      Wed, 13 Aug 1997 22:49:15 +1000 (EST)
From:      Andrew <perrya@python.shoal.net.au>
To:        modulation <modulation@geocities.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Error in Installation

Make sure you reply to questions as well, in case I miss something
(likely) or someone else has more helpful advice (more likely). That way
also people won't think that you've sorted it out and will keep their
thinking caps on for you.

On Tue, 12 Aug 1997, modulation wrote:

> > Your host address is the ip address of the machine that you will be
> > installing freebsd onto. If you are assigned a dynamic ip address by your
> > provider I think you just leave it blank. Also your host name is the name
> > you will be using for your computer, not your provider.
> >
> > I've cc'd the list in case I've omitted anything.
> >
> > Andrew Perry
> > perrya@shoal.net.au
> How would I go about naming my system. Do I name it when I am entering
> my host adress? My isp said that my host name is
> "myname@sprintmail.com".

Your hostname is usually (always?) of the format:
 hostname.domain.com
don't enter your e-mail address it's not used/necessary

> I tried typing my email adress which also ends in @sprintmail.com or
> other things. It still didn't work. The only things I don't enter in my
> network setup is my gateway and name server, and some things inside the

you definitely need a gateway and name server as far as I know. The
gateway is the ip address of the thingo you connect to at your isp.
Contact your isp for these.

> box, because I don't need them. The exact error message it gives me is
> "Couldn't openo FTP Connection to Ftp.freebsd.org:
>  Error unknown"
>
> If you can't help me any more could you just tell me what files I need
> to download from the ftp site? It sounds alot easier at this point.  I
> am trying to get all the binarys, docs etc and the xwindows system. I
> know X11 depends on which video card I have etc. But I know what to get
> there.
>
> 						Thanks,
>         					modulation@geocities.com

Installing via ftp is by far the easiest way (IMO) however if you are
still stuck you can always resort to the very messy floppy installation.
(I did on my first attempt) and then work out ppp and networking from
there. I haven't had any experience with installing from another drive or
a dos partition, and I'm waiting for my cd to arrive from the states.
(can't wait!!) The floppy install is messy, ask back again for help if you
decide to follow this path.

Have a look at http://www.freebsd.org/tutorials/ppp/ppp.html for a really
good tutorial about using ppp. Some of it won't be relevant yet but all
the stuff that you can put in your ppp.conf file you can also enter at the
ppp ON whatever> prompt

what I do:

get your network config right, enter a host name, it'll fill in the
domain name, enter gateway and name server ip addresses, probably leave
your ip address blank and it'll get sorted out dynamically

when you get to the ppp bit:

set device /dev/cuaa0 (for com1, cuaa1 for com2)
set speed 57600
set timeout 0
accept pap
disable chap (change this around if your isp acceps chap and not pap)
set openmode active
set authname username (enter your username :-) )
set authkey password (password thingy)

then type term <enter> to drop into terminal mode and dial your provider
and fight with whatever authentication you may need to provide.

Andrew Perry