Date:      Wed, 16 Oct 1996 15:24:47 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Guido van Rooij <guido@gvr.win.tue.nl>, Assar Westerlund <assar@sics.se>
Cc:        freebsd-security@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: bin/1805: Bug in ftpd

On Wed, 16 Oct 1996, Guido van Rooij wrote:

> Assar Westerlund wrote:
> >
> > Some what other programs should we check to see that they really call
> > endpwent?
>
> The ones that call getpw*.

No, only the ones that call getpwent(3) _or_ call setpassent(3) or
setpwent(3).  Things like getpwnam call endpwent before they return.

On 16 Oct 1996, Assar Westerlund wrote:

> guido@gvr.win.tue.nl (Guido van Rooij) writes:

> > > Of course, it should call endpwent and endpwent should zero any
> > > incriminating memory, but it doesn't do that now.
> >
> > Yes it does. Check the code.

Is the "yes it does" referring to endpwent being called or to endpwent
zeroing memory?

endpwent is being called in ftpd (indirectly), but I don't see where
endpwent is zeroing memory.  Even if it was zeroing its memory, the DB
routines are the ones that are leaving the junk behind.