Date:      Sun, 27 Jun 1999 13:02:50 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "Brian W. Buchanan" <brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU>
To:        freebsd-current@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: /etc/defaults (Was: Re: Out of file descriptors ??)

A nice semi-solution to this problem of having to copy lines from
defaults/rc.conf would be a good curses-based rc.conf configuration tool.
It could read in a definition file (or this information could be embedded
into comments in defaults/rc.conf), present a list of configuration knobs
and their current values, give a description of each knob's implications,
and have some knowledge about the range of acceptable values (e.g.
boolean, int, string, list that expands a template into new config options
i.e. network_interfaces and ifconfig_???).  Anyone up for the job? :-)

I was working on something like this for X11 a while back, that even
parsed out and re-wrote the old-style rc.conf with original comments and
formatting intact, but that project is currently on hold until I have
enough functionality in my new widgets library.

--
Brian Buchanan                                     brian@CSUA.Berkeley.EDU