Date:      Tue, 13 Oct 1998 00:48:16 -0400
From:      impaqds@bellsouth.net
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Mass Confusion

    After spending a hour on dozens of web pages concerning
FREEBSD I decided to download the OS and try it out.

    Funny thing. I cannot find one single reference on any ftp
readme or index file that tells me what specific name the FREEBSD
OS is listed under. I found hundreds of files and sub directories with
absolute zero information as to what constitutes the stand alone OS
itself. I understand the developer code files and the porting add ons
in the file listing,but nowhere is there specific names or instructions
for the stand alone FREEBSD OS anywhere. Come on guys ! If you
want this thing to be used and developed like UNIX you must cut the
OS distribution files for installation loose from thousands of
supplementary and confusing listings.I have talked to other
developers about FREEBSD and they tried your home site and
managed to download hundreds of files,but no complete OS. I see
why they stuck with UNIX. I just wanted to see what the problems
were. I can see very clearly why FREEBSD is not a mainstrem OS
like Linux. It is too hard to identify and download the main OS !

 Do not take this the wrong way. This is not a spam or a flame,just a
comment from a confused individual.As a WINDOWS NT network
manager I am always looking for alternatives to cut costs. I looked at
LINUX and got ill just reading the docs.; it has a long way to go.
Remember guys you are trying to convert millions of DOS and
WINDOWS users and developers who expect flawless one click
downloads in a GUI environment. Most run screaming and shaken
when confronted with any text based instructions. Sorry but that's
the real world for the majority of new age PC owners.I deal with
them every day and they get dumber every year.

 Got to go.... I will check you home page in a few months to try
again. FREEBSD sounds encouraging and versatile.

                                                                       Thanks,

												Gene Putnam

<nofill>